You can now submit films and projects for IDFA 2021! Read an overview of all important information and deadlines below. The 34th edition of the festival takes place November 17 to 28, 2021.
Deadlines for entry 2021
- Early entry deadline May 1, 2021 (entry fee for student films €20, films shorter than 40 minutes €35, films 40 minutes or longer €50)
- Final entry deadline July 15, 2021 (entry fee for student films €20, films shorter than 40 minutes €35, films 40 minutes or longer €65). Screeners for films submitted in time for the final entry deadline need to reach IDFA by July 25, 2021 at the latest.
- Deadline for new media projects and performances July 1, 2021 (entry fee for students €20, for others €50)
New in 2021
- IDFA now has two main competitions for film: the International Competition and the Envision Competition. Next to these are the IDFA Competition for Short Documentary and the IDFA Competition for Youth Documentary.
- Each competition has its own award(s). There are also three cross-section awards for best first feature, best Dutch documentary, and best creative use of archive. Films in the main competitions, Luminous, and Frontlight can be nominated for the first award. Films in all program sections can be nominated for the second and third award.
- In place of the former competitions for Dutch, mid-length, student, and debut feature films, IDFA will now select these films in relevant competitions and sections throughout the program.
Read all about the competitions and awards at IDFA this year. Before you submit your film or project, we recommend that you read the regulations carefully, as well as the FAQ for film submissions or interactive/immersive project submissions. That way you won't have any surprises.
Want to know more about our new competition structure? Check out the news article.